TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Licensed contractor required for apt repairs?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Licensed contractor required for apt repairs?

Postby niles2k » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm

I live in a rent-stabilized apt in an walkup tenement building with 8 apts. The apt needs repairs, work that included replacing broken window sashes, repairing ceilings that have sustained water damage or are on the verge of collapse due to the plaster separating from the lath, replacing a toilet, remove any lead-based paint that may be present & repainting the apt and so on.

The LL appears willing to undertake the work and has forwarded a proposal from the contractor for review. I requested they also forward contractor’s NYC license, at which point all communication ceased, which leads me to believe they were planning to use an unlicensed contractor. This raises a couple of questions: a) does NYC code require a licensed contractor be used for this type of work and b) if so, can I, as a tenant, demand that the work be performed by a licensed entity?

Thx for any input.
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Re: Licensed contractor required for apt repairs?

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Contractors are required to be licensed for certain things, like plumbing and electrical work. But for normal carpentry, I don't believe a license is needed.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
Posts: 9714
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: New York City

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests