TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

requested my apartment's rent history and it was RS up until

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

requested my apartment's rent history and it was RS up until

Postby tangerinetrees » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:20 pm

Hi,

I just moved into an apartment in July in a building that is listed as having several rent-stabilized units. I suspected that my apartment might be one of them, so I requested the apartment's rental history.

According to the letter, the apartment was registered as rent-stabilized every year until 2006, but since then it's listed saying "registration not found." According to street easy, I'm currently paying over $1k more than the last tenant that moved in in 2020.

What does it mean that the apartment was listed as RS until 2006 but nothing since then? I'm worried that I'm overpaying horribly. Is there anything I can do about my current rent?

Thank you in advance!
tangerinetrees

Re: requested my apartment's rent history and it was RS up u

Postby Cylon452 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:44 am

Hi

This happened to me as well. I told HCR ( aka DHCR ) my address and apartment number 3F.
and saw ' "registration not found " then i remember the building owner changing the apartment from 3A to 3F.
so i told the DHCR agent at the time " hey check apartment 3A "
Then behold. Total rent history came up to the point where it was changed to 3F.
Sneaky

You would think DHCR would know this dirty trick. But they are under Staffed big time.I think 37 agents covering all Brooklyn,Queens,Bronx, etc
Cylon452

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments