TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

421a overcharge affordable/dhcr par denied

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: 421a overcharge affordable/dhcr par denied

Postby TenantNet » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:15 am

You can submit a request for reconsideration, but I don't know if they will give it serious consideration. Plus be mindful that your time to appeal is ongoing. A recon request will not stop that.

My understanding is that DHCR should decide the level of rent and what you paid (overcharges) that would be current at the time they make the decision. So if you make a compliant alleging the rent is $300 higher than it should be in 2021, and they don't decide the case until 2024, they should detail what the rent should be up though the 2024 date of the order. But sometimes they screw it up. You can send them a letter stating the case is pending and they should consider new overcharges from the LL that occurred after the initial complaint.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: 421a overcharge affordable/dhcr par denied

Postby Bigskunk911 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:00 am

Hi, Thanks

Are there any options if the A78 deadline has passed, such as DHCR making a decision that's illegal or contrarty to statue. My understanding is that there's no time-limit for a reconsideration if based on misinterpration/fraud,but not sure any advice on that issue.
Bigskunk911

Previous

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments