TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent-regulated room?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent-regulated room?

Postby koffeedeath » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:58 pm

I was offered a room in a 4-bedroom apartment (sharing the bathroom and kitchen with others). The landlord does not live in the apartment; I don't know if he owns it. The address is listed as a rent-regulated building. The room does not have a separate entrance. The rent would be paid directly to the landlord in a month-to-month arrangement. Does anyone know whether this room would qualify for rent-regulation? I don't know whether this is a condo, or co-op, or apartment lease, that he is using to rent to others. It also appears also that he had subdivided the living room so that he could rent out more space.

Secondly, are there any SROs existing anymore? If there are any with any tenant protection such as rent regulation, I would like to find out where they are.
koffeedeath

Re: Rent-regulated room?

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:26 am

Generally buildings aren't rent regulated -- apartments are. Buildings can have rent stabilized and rent controlled apartments, as well as condo or co-op apartments, so it's hard to figure out what the status of this apartment might be, based on the address.

It's also important to distinguish between the Landlord and the leaseholder (or primary tenant) but, either way, this doesn't sound like the best situation.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments