TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

sketchy fire in my neighbor's unit

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

sketchy fire in my neighbor's unit

Postby raina_b » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:18 pm

Just after Labor Day, my neighbor's apartment caught on fire. He was an elderly man who had lived in our rent stabilized building for many, many years (in a three bedroom apartment, at that!). I spoke with a few firemen and one told me that the cause of the fire was suspicious because 1) the apartment door was open when the firemen got there, though my neighbor had not been at home, and 2) the fire originated in two different rooms in the apartment (apparently this is unusual?). The apartment was totaled, and my neighbor moved out. Out of curiosity, my roommate and I obtained a copy of the Fire Department's report, which listed the cause of the fire as “still under investigation.” By that time, however, the apartment was already being renovated, so I'm assuming that the insurance company had already determined cause of fire. What's the story here? Shouldn't the fire department be aware of the cause of the fire? Shouldn't the other tenants have a right to know what happened, especially if it was the result of faulty electrical wiring in the building? And the workmen seem to be just about done with the renovations. Does that mean my neighbor will move back in or has the lease been terminated? I find this situation sketchy given previous anecdotes I've heard which involved the landlord trying to get my neighbor to move out of his very large, cheap apartment. What can I do to get more information? Thanks for your input.
raina_b

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments