TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

um, my building isn't recycling correctly...

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

um, my building isn't recycling correctly...

Postby sandpipers » Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:11 pm

hi all. we have a dear old guy (louis) employed by my LL who speaks and reads very little english. he comes several times a week to do some minimal garbage sorting, hauling out, sweeping, etc. the thing is, he tends to bag our recyclables in big black garbage bags and put them out with the rest of the trash. i have tried to tell him to keep the recycable things separate and in their proper clear bags but he doesn't seem to understand. as someone who freaks out over environmental issues, this problem makes me crack open and go nuts.

our building has 3 garbage cans inside the building that are lined with clear blue bags. everyone puts their recycable bottles, cans, plastics in them and then plops any cardboard and paper products in this crate next to these 3 bins.Louis bags all the paper EXCEPT the cardboard and puts it in black garbage bags. he also seems to take out some recycables from their clear blue bags and put them in garbage bags. why he does this is a mystery to me. anywya, the 3 bins are NOT labeled and nobody seems to understand that glass is no longer recycled anymore anyway. the whole thing is a disaster, DEDPITE the fact that i posted the new recycling rules to clear up the enduring confusion.

so i call and log a complaint and some nutcase inspector issues a citation for improperly sorting, binding cardboard. BUT SHE DIDN'T BOTHER TO OPEN THE OTHER GARBAGE BAGS ON THE STREET TO SEE THAT THEY CONTAINED RECYLABLES!! so my LL got a $25 citation just for the cardboard. i snapped some shots of the situation and asked my super if he could help enforce recycling. he simply said that my LL wouldn't be interested in correcting the problem b/c i'm behind the complaints (i'm in a long, ugly settlement process for a $950 per month overcharge). he then just said that if I had any ideas, he might think about helping me do something. in other words, my super is just this defeated 29 year old who recently took over the job from the REAL super who died in July. Obviously, he has a rent reduction and has no intention of bothering the LL or owner b/c of this.

sorry this is so long. any suggestions? :roll:
Kicking and Screaming.
sandpipers

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments