TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

update on the cooking-odor nut

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

update on the cooking-odor nut

Postby Joe Cohen » Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:07 pm

Thanks much for all the good responses that I received regarding the upstairs neighbor concerned with cooking odors from my apt.

Saturday night we had a dinner party. As the first guest arrived, the guy came downstairs and started whining about how the odors were overwhelming, blah blah blah. It was very embarrassing. I told him I was doing the best I could, which didn't seem to satisfy him and he stormed off.

I think the guy is just venting, but I am really getting annoyed with this. It is bordering on harrassment. Any further thoughts on what to do would be appreciated.
Joe
Joe Cohen

Re: update on the cooking-odor nut

Postby Phil Cohen » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:35 pm

Try ignoring his complaints--don't even answer the door if he knocks on the door. Tell him firmly that you have a right to use your stove and that cooking odors are normal byproducts of apartment living. Tell him that his constant unwarranted complaints are, as you say, bordering on harassment.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby NYCkid » Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:32 pm

Some people really need to find better things to do with their lives. Does this guy not have any real problems? He is harassing you for no reason. I suggest you not being so nice and conciliatory to him anymore and maybe he will not come back. Basically tell him to f--- off!
NYCkid

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:18 pm

One possibiility is to write him a note, telling him not to knock on your door, and that he should put any complaints he has in writing. It won't stop him from complaining, but it may slow him down a bit and allow you to have an uninterrupted dinner.

Also. if he has any more serious complaints in the future, it will give you a paper trail of his harrassment.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:43 am

I agree with the sentiments expressed in the last two notes. Definitely--no more conciliation. That just seems to goad the guy. He is a bully, and needs to be stopped cold.
However, I would differ slightly and suggest that nothing be done at the moment. Just go about your normal activities, cooking as you ordinarily wood. If he comes downstairs, tell him that he is harassing you and to go away. Hopefully that will end the situation.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments