TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What Notification is required when leaving?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

What Notification is required when leaving?

Postby harrycho5 » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:22 am

I have not received a renewal lease yet (lease ends Nov. 30) but will be moving out of the apartment. Do I need to send back the actual lease form that they will send to me eventually or I can I just send in a letter saying I do not want to renew?
harrycho5

Re: What Notification is required when leaving?

Postby MikeW » Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:35 am

If you're leaving, I don't think you really need to do anything. Don't pay your last month's rent, so they're not holding your security, and just be out of the apartment by the time the lease expires.
MikeW

Re: What Notification is required when leaving?

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:43 pm

I disagree that you don't have to, or shouldn't do anything.
First of all, the LL is supposed to have given you a renewal lease by now. There is a place on the form where you can check off if you plan to leave. So I interpret that as meaning that, yes, you have to give notice.
Just to be on the safe side I would give notice by certified mail AND indicate that you hadn't gotten the renewal lease (which, if given to you at the right time, would probably have required you give the LL more than 30 days notice).
I disagree about withholding the last month's rent. I've heard all kinds of lurid stories about that screwing up credit ratings. I'd pay the last month rent and be sure to document the apt. was left in good shape (unless the LL is willing to take the security as last month's rent).
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments