TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord not finished renovating in time

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord not finished renovating in time

Postby GregL » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:07 pm

The landlord we are renting from claimed the place would be finished on February 1st, but we couldn't get out of our lease in time, so we asked to push it up to Feb 8. Good thing, because the place still wasn't ready to live in. Luckily we can stay in our old place a while longer, but it seems they want us to move in as soon as it is livable, even though they will still need to do some other things to the place. My question: what is the law on when we can move in, how much privacy we can get once in, etc... i.e. we don't want construction people working on the boiler (which is in our bedroom and they discussed moving it out before we moved in -- unlikely at this point) while we live there, but it seems that's what they want. Can they force us to move in before the place is completely finished, if the required necessities are in place? Also, what are the required necessities? The kitchen wasn't even in place as of the 8th, but can they have workers in there after we move in, finishing the little things they claimed would be done in time?
GregL

Re: Landlord not finished renovating in time

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:51 pm

I wouldn't move in until the work is complete. Chances of the LL finishing the work after you've moed in are next to Zero.

Is there really a boiler in the bedroom or did you mean radiator?

<small>[ February 10, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments