TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Disable Landlord

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Disable Landlord

Postby longgee » Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:33 pm

Our landlord has been both mentally and physically unable to manage the building due to his Alzheimer's disease. He sometimes even unable to recongize us as tenants.

Although we have had problems in the building, we always sympathize his condition and took up repair on ourselves. However, we can't continue to bear this responsibility in prolonged basis. Right, we can move, or make more $$$ then move. Until then, what can we do? How can any government agecy help?

Thank you very much.
longgee

Re: Disable Landlord

Postby HAJ77 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:01 am

Have you contact the LLs family? It sounds as if you have a decent relationship with him if tenants have been doing all this work. If not his family, then his attorney or accountant, they should be able to contact the family. I suggest this since they would be the best people to handle the situation, ie taking control of the building and assuming his legal responsibilities.

Besides that, it would get a little ugly since you would need to start a Section 7 hearing to have the city take control of the building, I believe that requires 3/4 of the tenants to agree.
HAJ77

Postby longgee » Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:15 am

The LL is about 90 years old. His family doesn't live with him in the building nor speaks English. They only come to visit him once in a while. As a result, I don't think they are capable to manage the building, either.

How does the Section 7 program work? It wouldn't be a problem to get 3/4 tenants' consent since we are all fed up with the lack of services in addition to the recent security problem.

Thank you very much.
longgee

Postby HAJ77 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:12 pm

Here is a link about getting a 7a administrator for your building. The process is not simple or easy, and from what I know about it the buildings are usually a complete mess before it happens.
It should be viewed as a last resort, consider talking to a qualified tenant attorney about all of your options.
Repairs and Maintenance FAQ-HousingNYC.com
HAJ77

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:25 pm

This is going to sound callous, but the landlord's age and infirmity is his problem, not yours.

If he has Alzheimer's, how can he deposit your checks? Evidently someone is doing that for him, probably a lawyer or family member, and taking your money, but conveniently "forgetting" to do the repairs.

Since you are nice people you are letting yourself be taken advantage of. I'm not unsympathetic--my father had Alzheimer's--but I'd wager his family has taken care of themselves by getting a power of attorney etc., while figuring that you guys can fend for yourselves.

Unless there is some dynamic here I am not familiar with -- such as maybe you are getting some kind of special rent break or informal rent freeze or whatever in return for your kindliness--I would insist that the LL's family live up to their responsibilities.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby longgee » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:15 pm

Thank you for Phil's enlightening reply. We, the tenants, confronted the LL last night to install locks to the building entry doors because several teenagers were recently caught doing drugs in a vacant apt. Again, he was stuborn and not willing to do any repair to doors.

We decided to hire a contractor to do the work and will subtract the cost for rent. If he disturbed the work, we'll have no choice but to go for the Section 7a procedure.

Please advise. Thank you.
longgee

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments