TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Base Rent/Legal Registered Rent

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Base Rent/Legal Registered Rent

Postby ELLENC123 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:00 pm

Maybe someone can help me. What is the difference between Legal Registered Rent (as noted on Initial Apartment Registration) and Base Rent?

Our LL has not made air conditioning charges as part of our base rent. In other words, when we get our new leases, the monthly air conditioning charges are not part of our rent, but set out on the lease as a separate charge under "Air Conditioner/Electricity Charge"). We do not pay for electric in our building. However, if I understand it correctly from DHCR, the monthly air conditioning charges should be part of the base rent.

I'm so confused and an explanation on the above will help me figure out another question I have. So any input you give me would be appreciated.
ELLENC123

Re: Base Rent/Legal Registered Rent

Postby consigliere » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:51 am

Air conditioning charges are surcharges and are not part of the rent -- DHCR Fact Sheet #27 - Air Conditioners.

This is good for the current tenant, because the air conditioning charges are not subject to the Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) increases. It's also good for a new tenant who doesn't choose to have an air conditioner.

consigliere

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments