TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL asks for letter to vacate.

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

LL asks for letter to vacate.

Postby Jasmine » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:34 pm

I've been in the negotiating through a lawyer with my LL in order to have a rent controlled lease assigned to me. My subtenancy has been up for a month now and the Prime tenant's lease is up at the end of April. Today, the LL called us(not the lawyer) directly saying that they are not interested in discussing a new lease and that we(myself and the prime tenant) need to send the LL's office a letter to vacate at the end of the Prime tenant's lease. What are our obligations regarding this letter?

Txs,
Jasmine
Jasmine

Re: LL asks for letter to vacate.

Postby HAJ77 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:41 pm

Since you already have an attorney, why not ask him/her what you should do regarding the letter. F

Personally, I think it's shady that the LL contacted you when they know you are represented by an attorney, so you should at least make the attorney aware of the letter.
HAJ77

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:59 pm

I agree with HJ, the fact that the LL is asking you for a letter ( and bypassing your lawyer in the process) sounds like the LL believes you have some rights in this situation he's hoping you'll give up.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Jasmine » Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:40 pm

Thanks for your input. I did contact my Attorney and he advised similarly to what was said here.

J
Jasmine

Postby Jasmine » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:31 pm

As I said earlier, my attorney advised not doing anything about said letter. Does anyone have a theory why the LL is asking for this letter.

Thanks,
J
Jasmine

Postby HAJ77 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:42 pm

Probably to use as evidence against you, think about it if you send him a letter saying you plan to vacate, you've just destroyed any case you might have had.

Perhaps I am cynical, but I think the LL is trying to get you out and wants to see if you were stupid enough to help him. Now, he knows you aren't and that should help you out.
HAJ77

Postby Jasmine » Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:19 pm

Update: I've got some work oppurtunities that would require my moving from NY to California. How much notice does the landlord need from the Prime Tenant in order to protect his security deposit?

Thanks ,
J
Jasmine

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments