TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

any pro-bono tenant attnys out there?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

any pro-bono tenant attnys out there?

Postby knen » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:06 pm

Well first of all let me say, DON'T trust Mark Crutchfield. He stole $500 for me and pretended like he would do my case pro-bono, but really he just changed his number and ignored my case. Very bad news, this guy.

Does anyone know of a trustworthy lawyer who will do a clear cut over charge case for 25% of the settlement? The rent is $2400 and the last tenant paid $166 and change. The "renovation" was half assed and done by the super. Their are plenty of code violations.

Please send recommendations to jenkenstrick@yahoo.com

THANKS!!!
knen

Re: any pro-bono tenant attnys out there?

Postby NYHawk » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:03 pm

You don't mean pro bono attorney, that is an attorney who will work for free, you are looking for an attrorney to take your case on a contingency fee basis. here is where you can look up the phone number and address of a new york attorney. http://portal.courts.state.ny.us/pls/portal30/internetdb_dev.menu_internetdb.show

Good luck!
NYHawk

Re: any pro-bono tenant attnys out there?

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:25 pm

Should mention that in our experience it's rare that a tenant attorney would work on a contingency basis. They usually have set hourly fees and require a retainer. They might do an entire case for a set fee in the alternative. If this is a DHCR overcharge case (challenging improvements), the tenant can do the case him/herself.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments