TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Wrongful MCI Increase

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Wrongful MCI Increase

Postby morryc » Wed May 08, 2002 12:41 pm

My LL is seeking to increase the rent because he painted the Fire Escapes. I'm told that painting the fire escapes is considered building maintenance and not considered a MCI. What recourse do we have to stop him from doing this? If this question has been addressed before, I apologize. I'm new to this board.

Thanks
morryc

Re: Wrongful MCI Increase

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu May 09, 2002 2:40 pm

Has he filed for an MCI? If so, you and the other tenants will get notice, and an opportunity to reply. Just say that this is routine maintenance and not a major capital improvement. You should win--it seems open and shut.
If he has indeed filed--just out of curiosity, could you post here what his justification is for claiming this is an MCI? It seems completely whacky.

Originally posted by morryc:
My LL is seeking to increase the rent because he painted the Fire Escapes. I'm told that painting the fire escapes is considered building maintenance and not considered a MCI. What recourse do we have to stop him from doing this? If this question has been addressed before, I apologize. I'm new to this board.

Thanks
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby morryc » Thu May 09, 2002 3:48 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phil:
[QB]Has he filed for an MCI? If so, you and the other tenants will get notice, and an opportunity to reply. Just say that this is routine maintenance and not a major capital improvement. You should win--it seems open and shut.
If he has indeed filed--just out of curiosity, could you post here what his justification is for claiming this is an MCI? It seems completely whacky.
Yes, and that's how we found out about it. We got the notice in the mail. So all we have to do is dispute this on the back, and it should be taken care of?
morryc

Postby Phil Cohen » Fri May 10, 2002 11:48 am

Well, you have to dispute it, using the form provided (or write a letter and reference it in the reply). Be sure to abide by the deadline! (20 days I think). And send it by CERTIFIED MAIL, return receipt requested.
Still curious as to how LL justified such a ridiculous thing.
Phil Cohen

Postby morryc » Fri May 10, 2002 3:12 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't think to send it registered mail, and dropped it in the mailbox this morning before reading your post. Hopefully it will get there anyway.

Not sure how he justified it. We just got a notice that he'd applied for a rent increase for painting the fire escapes. Beyond that, I don't know
morryc

Postby Phil Cohen » Fri May 10, 2002 4:49 pm

Well, if you kept a copy--and you should have-- why just send that by certified mail (NOT registered mail!), return receipt requested. Also--check the form you received. You may have to send two copies of your reply.
Be sure the grounds are correct--that it is not a major capital improvement and is simply routine maintenance.
Phil Cohen

Postby morryc » Sat May 18, 2002 7:43 am

Thanks for the advice. The rent increase was denied.
morryc

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments