TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Help! When do I call housing dept?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Help! When do I call housing dept?

Postby renterbl » Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:40 pm

I wrote the original post below regarding the leak above my windows. The guy was supposed to come today to inspect the outside of the building. He didn't. I bypassed the super this time and called the landlord, who got annoyed and told me that these people are unreliable and have their own schedule, and that "they're Indians, not to be racist," and that it would be fixed eventually but not to wait around for them to show. I told him he needs to hire reliable people then, and it was going to rain in my apartment tonight. I have only complained to him by phone so far...but I want to call an inspector on Monday. I'll send the LL a certified letter tomorrow as documentation ... but how long am I supposed to wait for this to be fixed before I complain? There goes my LL reference, dammit.
renterbl

Re: Help! When do I call housing dept?

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:32 pm

Whoa this sounds like the same roofers my LL uses for various jobs. They're an absolute nightmare.They come and go as they please, do whatever they feel like doing, and make an incredible mess in the process.The guy in charge had a disgusting habit of spitting every three minutes. Even so, it's your LL's responsibility to correct this problem in a reasonable time.

Ten days from your first written notice to the LL is fair. If you haven't sent him a certified letter describing the complaint, I'd get it out immediately and start counting the days..
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments