TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Counteracting a DHCR inspectio

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Counteracting a DHCR inspectio

Postby Cathy Lambert » Sat Mar 23, 2002 1:26 pm

In a reduction of services case, the DHCR inspection was miserable--superficial, overlooking stuff, looking at the wrong things. Need to counteract that in the PAR. Me and my neighbors have statements contradicting the inspector but the DHCR ignored them.
Have a tough time finding cases re bad or DHCR inspections, but I have found cases in which the DHCR relies slavishly on the inspections.
He thoughts, or references to cases that would help me, would be appreciated.
Cathy
Cathy Lambert

Re: Counteracting a DHCR inspectio

Postby Lilly » Sat Mar 23, 2002 4:47 pm

Did you ever call HPD? You could always start an Hp action in housing court. That way, when you do go to court you ask the judge for an inspection, and the inspector that will come is from HDP, not DHCR.
Also, take pix and/or video the apartments/violations. HPD can be reached at 212-824-4328 24 hrs.
Dispute the ineffective inspection with photos, request another inspection, get affidavits from all the affected tenants as to the conditions and include photos of the violations in each persons apartment with their affidavit.
DHCR leans so far towards LL's they don't even try to hide it.
So don't rely on DHCR to protect you. Use the other weapons available to you-housing court and an HPD inspection.
Lilly

Postby lappert » Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:13 am

And did the DHCR inspector ever spend quality time with the building's super out of view and earshot of the tenant(s)? While most bribe scandals are seen at DOB, it's still New York. More important is to publicise the DHCR's inspector's name -- put it on the board and see if others have had similar bad inspections. You might get a response. ANd yes, document the continuing conditions elsewhere. DHCR does and will rely on their inspection reports and these are difficult to overcome, but not impossible.
lappert

Postby <UW Sider> » Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:44 pm

Lilly is correct.

I called in 17 points to HPD mid-morning on a Thursday. By 1 p.m. the same day they had called my landlord (I know this because I received an angry call from him).

Two days later, on a Saturday (inspectors work 7 days per week), two inspectors showed up and followed up on the complaints. They were great and actually pointed out other problems with the place.

The process was excellent, and far different than DHCR.
<UW Sider>

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments