TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Good tenant lawyer

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Good tenant lawyer

Postby iprjp » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:11 pm

Hi,

I need a name of a good pro-tenant lawyer based in NYC. I have looked on the TenantNet website, but I would prefer to get some input from people on this list who may have some experience with a good pro-tenant lawyer. I live in a rent-stabilized apartment and my landlord is overcharging my rent.

Thanks,
Kelly
iprjp

Re: Good tenant lawyer

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:04 pm

Whoa there. How do you know he is overcharging you? Why not post the details here without giving your identity (assuming you haven't already).
If your overcharge assumption is based on the rehab thing you just posted on, you may not have much of a case.
Assuming you do need a lawyer, keep in mind that for something like this, hiring a lawyer is a strictly economic decision. A fully litigated case runs into the thousands--high four figures at least. Tote up your damages first and be sure it's worth it.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby iprjp » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:41 pm

I know he is overcharging me because he would have had to have spend $40,000 in improvements to get the rent he charged from me. He did not spend that much, the average a landlord spends for improvements in $10,000. As well as the fact he has overcharged other tenants in the buildings (this I know for a fact, the landlord admitted that) kind of lends the suspicion that he has overcharged me.
iprjp

Postby Phil Cohen » Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:29 pm

Does sound like an overcharge. But didn't you say it was four years ago? May be too late. Better check the time limit and act fast.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby adberg » Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:31 pm

I went through the same exact situation. In fact, my LL was claiming he spent $40K on improvements when he maybe spent around $7 dollars. We may even have the same LL.

I got a great lawyer, took the LL to court and won. You'll have to withdraw your DHCR complaint though.

Do you live on the Lower East Side?
adberg

Postby iprjp » Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:52 pm

I don't mind withdrawing the DHCR complaint (I filed it before the 4 year time limit) if it will help facilitate my case with the landlord using a lawyer. I filed it a couple of months ago and so far the landlord has not done anything or given any proof he spent that much, he has not said a word. I live on the Upper West Side actually. What is the lawyer's name/#, any help you can give me would be great.

Thanks
iprjp

Postby adberg » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:38 pm

Douglas Fromme (Berman & Fromme, P.C.)

Make sure you have the rental history and all appropriate paper trails, etc.
adberg

Postby iprjp » Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:02 pm

Thanks for the info, I already have the rental history and the payments information.
iprjp

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments