TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Kitchen sink

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Kitchen sink

Postby jsatenant » Thu May 09, 2002 10:51 am

About 7-8 years ago we got a new kitchen sink and cabinet. It was a crappy job and now the cabinet is falling apart (the sink itself is fine). The super says the whole thing needs to be replaced and the landlord says that they will charge me 1/40th of the cost to my rent. Can they do that? If I pay to have it replaced myself and don't tell them am I in violation of my lease (rent stabilized standard lease)? Thanks.
jsatenant

Re: Kitchen sink

Postby Phil Cohen » Fri May 10, 2002 4:53 pm

Charge you? Hah! In his dreams. No way. A new sink, replacing a lousy old one, is not an individual apartment improvement or MCI.
Not sure about your other question, but I suspect that you can probably fix it yourself.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Re: Kitchen sink

Postby TenantNet » Fri May 10, 2002 8:10 pm

The LL is required to maintain and repair in your apartment. That's why you pay rent. He can charge 1/40th the cost between vacancies or only on your written consent (so don't give it to him). If you replace it yourself, you do run the risk of facing litigation for unauthorized improvements. But it also depends on what it is. Installing your own refrigerator is one thing. Cabinets might be something else. If he won't repair it, document the problem and get a HPD inspection. You can withhold rent, file a HP action or file with DHCR. None of those are great options, but should probably get the LL moving. Ask him to repair and/or replace the cabinet(s) so they are in good working condition.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments