TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can roommate put a lock on their Bedroom door?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Can roommate put a lock on their Bedroom door?

Postby newtonyc » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:54 am

I am renting a room from the prime tenant in a rent stabilized apartment. I put a lock on my door and the prime tenant took it off without my permission.

Is it legal for me to put a lock on my door? If so, did the prime tenant violate any laws by removing it?

Thanks for any replies.
newtonyc

Re: Can roommate put a lock on their Bedroom door?

Postby Downtown » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:15 am

Practically speaking the LL is entitled to a key to any lock, to avoid having to break down the door in case of an emergency.
Sounds like the two of you are not getting along...as most roommates do not care if a lock is on the bedroom door.
Certainly you are entitled to get the lock back. Also you could put a chain lock on your door for privacy.
You might want to think about improving the relationship or looking for a new place.
Downtown

Postby newtonyc » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:08 pm

She never asked me for a key, and there was no emergency. She did it while I was at work, claiming she needed something out of the closet.

Yes we have a bad relationship. She keeps trying to put boxes of her crap (she's a real packrat) in my room. I thought about calling her landlord and complaining, but she charges me $750 and another guy who lives here to $650. I know her rent is about $825 a month. I know it is illegal to charge this much but it's a decent place on the west side so I don't mind. If the LL found out the amount she is charging could it get her evicted (they are real agressive with their tenants)? I don't want to get her (and therefore me) evicted, but I do want her off my back.

<small>[ August 02, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: newtonyc ]</small>
newtonyc

Postby Anna » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:47 pm

Yes, your entitled to a lock on your door. Laws that apply to tenants apply to you. It's in the HMC and/or the MDL. http://www.tenant.net/nyc.html

Learn the true rent by going to the DHCR office at 25 Beaver St, 5th floor, 9a-4p; bring photo ID and proof of residence (bank statement w/your name & address or CC bill or major store bill). If there are 3 unrelated adults living in a RS, not RC, apt, she is entitled to charge each of you no more than 1/3 of her rent, plus Con Ed. You are each entitled to a full refund of your overpayments, plus either 9% interest of treble damages. If she doesn't refund the OC, she could be evicted. Learn about Rent Overcharges: http://www.tenant.net/nyc.html

'Talk softly and carry a big stick': you have a much bigger stick than she has. Learn about life as a month-t-month tenant while you're here.
Anna

Postby newtonyc » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:39 pm

I don't care about the overcharge and I knew I was paying more than a third when I moved in. My question is can the LL evict her without my cooperation.
newtonyc

Postby Downtown » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:13 am

Asked and answered (by Anna)...if you pursue OC and PT doesn't pay LL can evict.
Do as suggested and read up on MTM. PT with 30 day notice (before next rent date) could terminate tenancy.
Downtown

Postby hshultz » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:54 pm

It is both illegal and dangerous to have a lock on the door of any room that leads to a fire escape. All occupants of an apartment must have ready access to the fire escape. Obviously a locked door leading to a fire escape may prevent a barrier to other residents of the apartment who need to use the fire escape in the event of a fire.

The references to the right to have a lock only refer to the right to place a lock on the entry door to an apartment - not to the individual rooms of an apartment.
hshultz

Postby Lilly » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:54 pm

Just my personal opinion, but if I had a roommate and she put a lock on the door of the bedroom she was using, that would most definately creep me out. I have no objection to a lock on a closet, but not the whole room.
You have stuff you want protected, lock the closet. You don't like the person who was nice enough to let you move in, then move out. Deal with it. You insist on locking up all your stuff, then get your own apartment.
Lilly

Postby newtonyc » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:09 am

Lilly, are you kidding? Would you tell a tenant that has trouble with thir LL to "deal with it or move out" if the LL waqnted them to leave? This woman who was "nice" enough to let us move in alway has roommates (that she always overcharges) because she can't afford the apartment on her own. She's not doing me any favors, and there was no legitimate reason for her to break into my room (we're on the first floor and she has windows in her reoom case of fire).
newtonyc

Postby Downtown » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:11 pm

When I had roommates...everyone had a lock on their door...which is why you try to find people of like mindsets. If someone entered my room would be looking the next day.
Hit the PT for the OC and find a new place where you are the PT and everyone can lock their doors.
Chances are if you and PT can't work out this, eventually she is going to ask you to leave.
There are plenty of roommate/shares out there...go check Craig's List.
Downtown

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments