TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question about Succession Rights?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Question about Succession Rights?

Postby newtonyc » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:28 pm

I know that it's the unit that is regulated, but people are effectively declared "inelligible" all the time ( eviction for non primary residence is an example. Those tenants evicted have a difficult time finding an apartment for the same rent).

Rent reg's exist to keep people in the city who otherwise could't afford it. When someone is able to buy property in another location it is a strong indication that they could afford higher rent. I just think it is wrong (and greedy) to ask another private party to essentially subsidize the purchase.

You are right, a lndlord most likely won't forgive rent due to hardship, but how many tenents would pay more rent to a landlord who is having trouble? I can't think of any group in our society that will forgive debt out of the kindness of their hearts, (home loans, auto loans etc.).

Also, people buying property outside of NYC hurts our tax base. It would be better if those home buyer's spent their money in the city, weather through home purchases here or through higher rents.
newtonyc

Re: Question about Succession Rights?

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:54 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by newtonyc:
[QB]Rent reg's exist to keep people in the city who otherwise could't afford it... I just think it is wrong (and greedy) to ask another private party to essentially subsidize the purchase.

You're assumptions are flawed. Rent regs were never meant to benefit the poor or a curb against displacement; it was designed as a market-wide system affecting everyone (if the building is 6 or more units, built after 74, etc.). It also is not a subsidy, but a tempering of rent increases, just like many other regulatory schemes. Limitations on utility rates are also not subsidies as they affect everyone.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Previous

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments