TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No Water/Water Pressure

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

No Water/Water Pressure

Postby brxgrl » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:42 pm

I have always had problems with water pressure in my apartment. Within the last week it has gotten so bad that I am unable to flush my toilet until after midnight and when I shower, no matter what time of the day it is, the water now stops completely or it's trickling out. The landlord is telling me it's a city problem and DEP is telling me it's a building problem. My neighbors have the same problem only I'm the only one complaining about it. Any suggestions besides moving out!!!

Thanks.
brxgrl

Re: No Water/Water Pressure

Postby ciale » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:26 am

Sounds and looks like there should be a Health Code violation in there someplace. Not just a building code violation.

If DEP says it's a city problem, then how about contacting our Dictator Bloomberg and have him get on it?

Meanwhile, here's the Housing Maintenance Code concerning water and water supply. I hope this helps!

CHAPTER 2
HOUSING MAINTENANCE CODE
[table of contents]
SUBCHAPTER 2
MAINTENANCE, SERVICES, AND UTILITIES
ARTICLE 6
Water Supply
Section
27-2024 Water Supply to Buildings
27-2025 Water Supply to Individual Units and Fixtures

Sec. 27-2024 Water supply to buildings
The owner of a dwelling shall provide and maintain a supply of pure and wholesome water sufficient in quantity and at sufficient pressure to keep all plumbing fixtures adequately supplied for their sanitary maintenance. Where water mains are available in the street, every dwelling shall be supplied with water from such mains. The owner shall keep the water free from connection to any unsafe water supply or from cross-connections to any drainage system.

Sec. 27-2025 Water supply to individual units and fixtures
The owner of a dwelling shall provide proper appliances for the use of every dwelling unit to receive and distribute an adequate supply of water during all hours.
ciale

Postby brxgrl » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:53 am

Thanks so much for the information. I am going to call the Department of Health and file a complaint with them. Do you think that I should withhold my rent for this month until this is resolved or try filing for a rent reduction???

Thanks.
brxgrl

Postby ciale » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:12 pm

Have you tried getting an inspection? Tho you might want to know that HPD isn't always dependable, but it couldn't hurt to have copies of your complaint and their inspections. Also, don't let up on DEP. That's what they're paid for - to make sure people have sufficient and safe water.

Sure you can withhold your rent. If nothing else comes of it, it will force the matter into the courts. But, it would be a great idea to get other tenants in your building together to file a joint complaint (sort of like a petition) to the landlord. Get names and apartment numbers.

Also, keep a list of the date and times when pressure is low/gone. When in court, the more paper you have, the better.
ciale

Postby subcriminal » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:11 pm

you might also want to check with the department of buildings and have them inspect your water problem.

Ciale is right about documenting the water problem on paper. Though I wouldn't withold rent unless you consult someone about your legal recourses and discover for certain who is legally responsible for your water shortage.
subcriminal

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments