TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent Stabilized Studio - Roommate ok? or just move out..

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent Stabilized Studio - Roommate ok? or just move out..

Postby harrycho5 » Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:13 pm

I live in a small rent stabilized studio. I'm looking to break my lease early and move out to a new place with the least amount of hassle. I spoke with the landlord to see what my options were. I was told to give them a set of keys so that they can show my apartment (they didn't sound too happy about subletting). I think getting a roommate would be the easiest solution until the end of the lease. I'd rather not have the responsibility of being on the hook for two leases so I'm not sure whether to be afraid of the landlord not rerenting my place quickly enough (although I think he can get more for it) or getting a roommate who doesn't pay the rent. Also, is there a minimum space requirement for two people living in such a small space and do I have to have my mail still sent to my old address?
harrycho5

Re: Rent Stabilized Studio - Roommate ok? or just move out..

Postby consigliere » Wed May 01, 2002 8:27 am

The landlord can't unreasonably refuse to consent to a sublet. And the landlord has no say about a roommate.

However, now that you've told the landlord that you want to move out, he'll look very carefully at any roommate. He'll want to make sure that you're still living in the apartment. If you're not living there, that would be a sublet for which you didn't request the landlord's consent.

consigliere

Re: Rent Stabilized Studio - Roommate ok? or just move out..

Postby harrycho5 » Fri May 17, 2002 1:33 pm

I signed a roommate agreement with someone and have moved out. I will have to tell them that I'm not relinquishing my lease though.

What notice is required to the landlord regarding my roommate? Also, is there any requirement/proof that I need to be able to show that I'm still "occupying" the apartment? Thanks.
harrycho5

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments