TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Luxury Decontrol Rider

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Luxury Decontrol Rider

Postby busterbrown » Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:21 pm

My lease for the past three 2-year periods incorporated a "luxury decontrol" rider. When I received the renewal lease for the lease term starting October 1 (which I have yet to return) the luxury decontrol rider was not attached. However, the printed renewal form provides that the renewal is based on all of the same terms and conditions of the my current lease. So the question to the experts is: if a luxury decontrol order is issued by DHCR during the new 2-year period, can the lease run out the 2 year renewal period before the apartment is decontrolled; or does the rider in the prior lease "come back" to terminate the lease due to luxury decontrol prior to the expiration of the new 2-year term? Thanks to all for your input.
busterbrown

Re: Luxury Decontrol Rider

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:46 am

That's a legal kinda question, but it seems to me that the answer is no. There was no rider, and that is that. The earlier riders were just for your previous lease terms.
Just out of curiosity, what did the previous riders say?
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Re: Luxury Decontrol Rider

Postby busterbrown » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:32 pm

The previous riders said, in essence, that if a DHCR decontrol order is issued during the term of the lease the apartment will be decontrolled 60 days after the date of the DHCR order, and not at the end of the term of the lease. Thanks for responding.
busterbrown

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments