TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Am I legally a tenant or a roommate?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Am I legally a tenant or a roommate?

Postby thirdcoast » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:40 pm

I recently moved into a stabilized apartment at the beginning of a renewal lease term of a current tenant. The tenant, who signed the lease a year ago, signed at the time with a co-tenant who moved out, chose to be left off the lease renewal, and was subsequently crossed off the lease. When I moved in it was the intention of both me and the tenant for me to be added to the lease (i.e. to replace the former co-tenant), and so I went through the necessary application procedure (a credit check was run, etc.). The landlord has said I've been "approved," and has sent me a written letter stating that I've "been approved to have [my] name added to the lease for the apartment..." and thus that my "name will appear on all future rent bills and lease renewals." My question is, does this in itself make me a co-tenant? When pressed, the landlord told us that I was NOT on the lease, and I have not signed anything. I'm very confused.....
thirdcoast

Re: Am I legally a tenant or a roommate?

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:18 pm

Sounds like you are the co-tenant and will be on the next renewal lease(?). Not quite sure what is going on, but keep his letter to you, the receipt of the apllication fee, and all other documents tying your name to the apt. (the next rent bill etc..).
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments