TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Woes of living in apartment number one.

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Woes of living in apartment number one.

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:29 pm

I had a vaguely similar situation where the maintainance company would ring my doorbell whenever they forgot their keys, had questions about the super, or just wanted to know something like the zip code. I m up a couple of flights so I think this was just one more way to harass me.

I'd simply tell them over the intercom that they had the wrong apartment or I didn't know what they were talking about. Once they began to realize I wasn't there for their convenience, they stopped ringing my bell.

You could always put a note on your bell "For Apartment 1 deliveries only" or something to that effect.

<small>[ October 28, 2002, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby too trusting » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:41 am

My hubby and I don't answer the door anymore if we're not expecting someone. I always tell people to call and let me know you're coming because I'm not running down to the door and have it not be for me. Just disconnect the buzzer while you're sleeping.

As far as the JW's, maybe put a sign up that says I'm Catholic and proud of it, ring if you want me to talk to you about it. Usually that sends them running. Of course if they do then have a bible handy because their's is not the same and start pointing out the differences. They'll leave so fast, not only that but they'll tell everyone about you and the groups will totally steer clear of your apt. You won't have to worry about JW's again. :D

<small>[ December 03, 2002, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: too trusting ]</small>
too trusting

Postby Phil Cohen » Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:21 pm

This is an example of the old adage that "no good deed goes unpunished." You have to stop being a doormat for your neighbors. Just stop answering the bell, and put up a note that your doorbell is for you only and callers for anyone else will be turned away.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby NYCkid » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:59 am

I have the exact same situation. When I first moved into my building, the intercom didnt even work. I lobbied the building management to fix it and they did. We labeled our apt buzzer although only one other apt did. We are also on the first floor.

Now people constantly ring my bell, day and night. It is so annoying. I scream at them over the intercom. But what good does that do if it continually gets rung?
NYCkid

Postby Cold Hands in Queens » Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:15 am

I feel for you....I was in the same situation for a year...and I finally had to take guerilla action. I tried putting up signs, some polite and some not polite, that I was NOT there to take deliveries and so forth. Now, the landlord's son lived upstairs and was a lazy SOB and kept taking my signs down. Finally, I did the following, and got an instant good night's sleep:

The following trick requires a trip to Radio Shack. Shopping list: A standard toggle switch or rocker switch, black electrician's tape, and a few inches of solid-core copper wire. "Solid Core" means that if you strip off the rubber insulation, the piece of metal is a solid piece of copper and not twined thin stuff.

What to do:

I assume you have a standard intercom with a talk, listen, and door buzz button. If not, this is even easier. Anyway, CAREFULLY unscrew it from the wall. There should be wires attached to screws labled "door", "listen" etc. If not, just detach the colored wires one at a time and then press the buttons to see if you disconneced the speak, door, buzz, or listen wires.

When you've located the "ring" button (it may mean having someone else help you by testing the buttons--when they lean on the buzzer, you won't hear it ring) then disconnect it by unscrewing the screw. Attach one end of the line that comes out of the wall to the on/off switch from Rat Shack. Then use a short piece of your solid core to attach the other side of the switch to the buzzer box mechanism, and screw the final loose end into the screw. Wrap the loose raw wire ends at either end of the switch with electrician's tape. Make sure you leave enough slack in the wires so that you have room for the switch to protrude from under the bottom edge of your intercom box.

WALLAH! All you have to do now is TURN OFF YOUR DOOR BUZZER at night! Huzzah! Tell those close to you that you are doing this so that they know, and screw everyone else.

I too am a day sleeper and this saved my life!

Good luck!
Cold Hands in Queens

Postby NYCkid » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:43 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, but it hasnt gotten that bad that I will tamper with my intercom system.
NYCkid

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments