TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Disputing LL provided "receipts" of IAI

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Disputing LL provided "receipts" of IAI

Postby mjr203 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:51 pm

so the DHCR sent me back paperwork from the LL -- receipts claiming that 2 months before I moved in :roll: the floor in the kitchen was totally ripped out and replaced, two bathroom walls and floor were ripped up to change pipes in the bathroom to copper and that the fridge and stove were new (1999 & 2000).

All receipts are on paper, handwritten from local contractors (he is in electric contracting) and "paid in cash".

I think they are complete BS. I saw that bathroom and it had not been retiled. The floor tiles were old and grouty. The stove certainly wasn't new.

What do I have to write to the DHCR to challenge his "receipts"?

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Re: Disputing LL provided "receipts" of IAI

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:22 pm

Just because the LL responded with this excuse and provided these receipts doesn't mean it's acceptable to DHCR.

You can tell DHCR pretty much the same thing you said here. You might also want to attach some photos of the LL's "Improvements" Just make sure you have an extra set of prints for your own records.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby mjr203 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:58 pm

he wrote that the "improvements" were to correct very low pressure water pressure (for the record it was low when we were there too) and a sagging floor condition in the kitchen.

aren't these problems that would need fixing not "improvements" anyway?

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby joliett » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:50 pm

The receipts are probably valid. Landlords can claim any price they "paid". Handwritten or cash receipts are all legal.

You have to fight this by claiming what is an improvement and what is simply maintenance - or what is against NYC codes.

Documentation of all the illegal and non-qualifing work is required.

Some improvements are valid and some are really maintenance. Some are against code requirements, and some dont qualify.

<small>[ June 17, 2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Joel Teicher, P.E. ]</small>
Joel Teicher, P.E.
www.TenantEngineer.com
joliett

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments