TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Charging me for rent retroactively

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Charging me for rent retroactively

Postby cleancut77 » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:40 pm

I live in a rent-stabilized apartment in the Bronx. My lease was renewed in August. When I read over the new lease I was confused about the terminology concerning a rent increase. I sent the normal amount and a letter asking if my rent has been increased and to notify me. I didn't get a response. My landlord's managing agent sends invoices at the end of month. Each month the invoice has had the same rental amount as the old lease and I have been paying that amount. Today I received January's invoice which not only reflects an increase but a retroactive charge dating back to god knows when. My question is am I obligated to pay the retoactive portion? I was simply paying what was shown on their invoice also on some of my checks I wrote the month's rent on the Memo line.
cleancut77

Re: Landlord Charging me for rent retroactively

Postby Lilly » Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:51 pm

You owe the increased rent commencing with the start of your renewal lease. I'm assuming your renewal lease provided for a rent increase over the expiring lease. LL made a mistake by not billiing you correctly but I believe you owe the increase effective the start date of your renewal lease.
Lilly

Re: Landlord Charging me for rent retroactively

Postby Phil Cohen » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:08 pm

You definitely owe for any legitimate increase for which he didn't bill you. However, I would check the retroactive portion carefully to ascertain if he is tacking on any late fees. I think the fact that you were billed for the old amount should be sufficient excuse for your paying the wrong amount.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments