TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question on early lease termination...

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Question on early lease termination...

Postby Rileyhamer » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:04 pm

I have a question about terminating my rent-stabilized lease. I'm getting sick of my apartment and want to move out, but my lease isn't up for renewal until next February. I complained about the noise from my neighbor in April 2001 and my landlord sent me a letter that says: "...if you feel that this apartment was the wrong choice for you, I'll be happy to allow you to terminate the lease early and return your security deposit to you." The apartment is still noisy today -- two years on (that's why I'm itching to leave), so I was thinking of writing to my landlord, arguing that I think the letter he sent me refers to the apartment lease -- whether renewed or not -- and telling him I'm going to leave and hope he'll give back my deposit (as he offered in the letter). Another option is to tell him to keep my security deposit as the last month's rent. But as the rental market is pretty depressed and I've just renewed my lease, I'm worried he'll tell me to forget it and take me to court if I do actually leave. Is this course of action highly illegal? Could I be blacklisted as a renter? Please advise.
Rileyhamer

Re: Question on early lease termination...

Postby ChrisG » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:07 am

sounds to me like the LL would be okay with you breaking the lease, considering the tone of that old letter. LLs are always looking to raise the rent. unless some situation has changed since the letter, he'll still probably be okay with it. just ask him.
ChrisG

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments