TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question about paying for a repair

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Question about paying for a repair

Postby DianeB » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:17 am

About a month ago my toilet got clogged. After much trouble arranging for the super to come in, and other things, the decision was made by the agent for the building to replace the toilet. Since the super claimed something fell into the toilet from my makeup case, the agent has informed me that I'm legally responsible for paying for the new toilet.

Subsequently I have found out that something from my makeup case did fall in and clog the toilet. Fine so far. But I'm wondering if the agent can just charge me, or if he has to do anything official, like send me a letter (which I had to request from him), send me the bill incurred for the new toilet (again, I had to request this from him), or perhaps file legal paperwork with the department of housing.

I made a $100 payment in good faith to the agent, and he was extremely nasty when I called to say that I was applying that money to my November rent check and would wait for him to put his complaint in writing to me.

What exactly is the agent's legal responsibility in notifying me of this? I'm not questiong whether he can charge me, just wondering if he can be so slipshod about the process.

Thanks so much!
DianeB

Re: Question about paying for a repair

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:36 pm

Whoa there. REPLACE the toilet? Since when do toilets have to be replaced because of a clog? Whatever happened to drain-cleaning services?
While technically you might have to pay for things you are responsible for, this strikes me as unecessary.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments