TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Building Renovation Misplacement

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Building Renovation Misplacement

Postby subwayart » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:29 pm

I live in a Rent Stabilized building in Brooklyn. Recently, I received a letter written by my landlord stating that he has been approved by the Dept. of Buildings for a improvement loan. The notification from him states that by June's end, the tenants will have to vacate the building. he says he is willing to help the tenants w/ a month's rent and our security deposit - to help w/ finding a new place to live. It is going to be very difficult for me to find a apartment paying the amount I do now. Please explain tome any rights as a tenant of a rent stabilized building, concerning this matter. After renovations, do I have exclusive rights to my old apartment? If no renovations are planned inside my apartment I live in now, why do I have to leave? If I choose to leave, do I lose any rights in the building? Please advise on any actions I can take, or advise on what I should do? Thanks in advance...
subwayart

Re: Building Renovation Misplacement

Postby joliett » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:56 pm

One word reply...
BS

Its a trick to get you out...
Joel Teicher, P.E.
www.TenantEngineer.com
joliett

Postby mjr203 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:50 pm

Originally posted by subwayart:
he says he is willing to help the tenants w/ a month's rent and our security deposit - to help w/ finding a new place to live.
"Please, let me help you abandon your homes for which you pay a reasonable and regulated rent so that I can do a bunch of unnecessary work, claim some work I won't do, pump the rent up to hopefully above $2k, deregulate most of the apartments, charge market rent to suckers and retire early! I'll be doing you a favor!"

;)

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Bey » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:33 pm

Hey...I'm in the same predicament in a rent controlled apt. Rule #1, he has to send you an eviction notice. That letter is not enough. Depending where in Brooklyn you live, there are a few neighborhood advocacy groups that are pretty good. I contacted the St. Nicholas Neighborhood Preservation Corp at 718-388-5454, which is in northern Brooklyn. If they can't help you, they can direct you to someone who can.
Bey

Postby uesrenter » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:31 am

Your landlord has 3 choices:
1) relocate you to an apt of the same or less rent, pay your moving expenses and $5000 stipend if you move out on time
2) pay the difference in your rent and your new rent for the next 6yrs plus moving expenses
3) pay you a stipend for an amount set by the DHCR based on 6 yrs, how much your rent is and how many rooms your apt is.
I think you can choose from the 3 and settle but you must have proof of the authorized demolition and at least 90 days notice. Here's the bulletin to help. I am looking into this myself and as I find out more and confirm I'll let you know-see my other postings and the below site:
http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orao20021.htm
uesrenter

Postby Robert Sabin » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:17 pm

I'm going through a similar problem. The ceiling in the apartment is totally warped and the place needs to be gutted. There are possibly issues regarding personal saftey involved with my ceiling possibly about to collapse. Does this in anyway change the landlords responsibilities as stated above concerning relocating me? Thanks in advance, this site is a lifesaver.
Robert Sabin

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments