TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sublet Strategy...

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Sublet Strategy...

Postby mzallen » Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:26 pm

I have a legal rent-stabilized apartment in my own name and have lived here 2+ years. I received a job oppy to work abroad for 15 months and would like to sublet the apt (furnished) and return to my home.

Can I sublet even though my lease says I cannot?
Since I will be leaving my stuff, and the utils in my name, does it make more sense to merely add the subtenant as an occupant (like a roommate?)

I'm concerned about doing an official sublet because although the landlord's consent cannot be 'unreasonably withheld' - I am due to leave in July and would prefer not to have to appear in court. (I'll be VERY far away).

SHould I retain a lawyer?

Advice, help!
-Thanks.
mzallen

Re: Sublet Strategy...

Postby Lilly » Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:22 pm

Yes you can sublet, providing you follow certain prescribed procedures. Here is the DHCR link regarding sublets, etc:

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orafac7.htm
Lilly

Postby newtonyc » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:03 am

Don't add the person as a room mate as this will constitute an illegal sublet when you leave and could be grounds for eviction procedure which will be an expensive mess if you are away.
newtonyc

Postby digerati » Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:24 pm

DO NOT overcharge your subtenant. You may legally charge the individual an additional 10% above the legal rent if you leave the apartment furnished (as indicated in lilly's link above). Also, my advice would be to inform the landlord of the sublet. I believe he could start an eviction proceeding if he obtains constructive knowledge of the illegal sublet.
digerati

Postby mzallen » Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:45 pm

Thanks for the advice...one follow-up question:
Is there a template for an acceptable subtenant agreement? Or is it usually a simple paragraph in plain English stating the term, the rent, etc.

CG
mzallen

Postby digerati » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:52 pm

Sure, there are tons of them on the net. Just do a google search for 'sublet agreement' and lots of good resources show up.

Good luck.
digerati

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments