TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

HELP PLEASE SOMEONE! CONFUSED!

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

HELP PLEASE SOMEONE! CONFUSED!

Postby terpsichorean01 » Wed May 29, 2002 10:52 pm

In Feb 2002, I got an apartment in Brooklyn. I decided to fully move in from my NJ apartment in March. At the same time, my girlfriend (at that time) was evicted from her apartment and needed a place to stay. So she move into the apartment as an occupant first. But as March went by, I learnt a lot of negative things about her and we had a falling apart. I decided not live there in the apartment and surrender it to the landlord (mutual agreement) and remain in my NJ apartment. Now she is refusing to leave the apartment and has taken the key. Note that she has lived there for more than 30 days already and I never lived there. She even madup a fake sublet agreement. The lease is under my name and I am responsible for the rent. How can I evict her and surrender the apartment to the owner and just have one apartment to my name? Please please help anyone!

terpsichorean01@aol.com
terpsichorean01

Re: HELP PLEASE SOMEONE! CONFUSED!

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu May 30, 2002 9:37 am

First the obvious--which is that you need legal advice.
What is this "fake sublet agreement"? Did she forge your name on something? That would be a criminal act.
Some things you should explore with a lawyer:
Since you surrendered the apartment, isn't this the landlord's problem, not yours?
Do you have a right to a self-help eviction (i.e., go into the apartment, remove her furniture, change the locks)?
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments