TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Use of handicap elevator

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Use of handicap elevator

Postby sabrina » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:17 am

jwskatz,

No one seems to have the answer to your question so I suggest you visit lawguru.com. You can post your question for free and one or more attorney may reply in a day or two.

I would think that the management company of your building would know the answer or can get the answer for you. Of course, the managers may not want to get involved with this thorny subject and may drag their heels. I guess it all depends on how much time and energy you want to spend on this issue. As was previously suggested, tipping the building staff seems the easiet and most immediate solution to your problem.

<small>[ February 14, 2003, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: sabrina ]</small>
sabrina

Re: Use of handicap elevator

Postby sabrina » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:48 am

"It is clearly telling someone that because they are not a memember of the disabled minority they have no right to use equipment that was paid for by their rent."

The elevator was installed before anyone moved into the building so no one's rent "paid for" the elevator. And with so many gov't grants available to make places accessible for the disabled, the building owner may not have even paid for the handiccapped lift.

The disabled tenants are also paying rent.

And finally, let me say that I think the architect was an idiot to design a space that is clearly not convenient to as many people as possible. The owners who approved the plans can also accept part of the blame.

<small>[ February 14, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: sabrina ]</small>
sabrina

Previous

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments