TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Requesting a 2-year lease

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Requesting a 2-year lease

Postby Sean Flaherty » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:29 pm

After 5 years, I have politely requested that my landlord offer me a 2-year lease in advance of the renewal date. After receiving my request, I was summoned to the landlord's apartment on the first floor and was told that, due to the fact that my guests had "kicked" the front door to gain access during a recent gathering that I hosted, and that my fiance's bicycle was in the hallway on the 4th floor (the top floor, where we reside), that my request was being declined.

I have a doorbell and walk down 4 flights of stairs to let my guests in. Ever since 1997, my landlord has made preposterous allegations in attempts to evict me from the building. Clearly, the area is building up quite nicely and I'm sure that she could glean 3 or 4 times as much as I'm paying.

I have reminded her that her "continued harrassment has no legal bearing on [my current] lease or my earlier request for a new lease." I have further informed her that "Anent my monthly payments, I find [her] posture insulting and of the poorest spirit. I will not be harassed or terrorized out of my city-owned lease."

1. How can I get a copy of the law supporting my argument, re: the 2-year lease request?

2. How can I get her off my back without taking her to court?

I would be grateful for any guidance anyone might offer. Thanks.
Sean
Sean Flaherty

Re: Requesting a 2-year lease

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:13 pm

Are you a rent-stabilized tenant? I ask because, if so, the LL must offer you the choice of either a one or two-year lease, and must do so via a DHCR form. Also he has to do so a considerable time before the end of the lease. See the DHCR fact sheet on lease renewals.
If you are rent stabilized, and you have to "ask" for a two-year lease renewal, it raises the question of whether you've been getting a proper lease for years.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Re: Requesting a 2-year lease

Postby Sean Flaherty » Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:24 am

Thanks. Yes, this is a rent-stabilized, city-owned lease and every year I go through some rigamarole with them about the various reasons they won't renew my lease (my fiance moved in without their permission, there's a bicycle in the hallway), etc., etc.

It looks like I'm going to have to file with the DHCR and see what they can do before I dig deep and offer a bounty to a lawyer.
Sean
Sean Flaherty

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments