TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

False advertising and MCI Increase

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

False advertising and MCI Increase

Postby rosshy » Tue May 06, 2003 6:06 pm

I recently moved into a rent stabilized apartment. The apartment was advertised by a broker for $1050. When I arrived to see the apartment he told me that the rent was actually $1109 but that he could get the landlord down to $1050. Well, he didn't. I took the place anyway because it was still a reasonable deal.

After signing my lease and upon receiving my keys my landlord then informed me that there would be a rent increase due to recent improvements to the electrical system. I was not told about this before signing my lease and was not given a chance to dispute. Essentially, now I have 8 outlets in my kitchen! I avoided saying anything because I did not want to risk having a renewal next year. The increase was not a lot (about $14) but I was pissed that I was not told this before signing the lease. Now my rent is $1123 instead of $1050 and I'm pissed. Especially, because it may go up again with the potential MBR heating oil increase. Do I have any recourse for all of this?
rosshy

Re: False advertising and MCI Increase

Postby consigliere » Wed May 07, 2003 8:03 am

Unless the pending MCI was specifically mentioned in the lease, the landlord is not entitled to collect the MCI increase.

And you are confusing rent control and rent stabilization. MBRs apply to rent control -- not to rent stabilization.

Lastly, you should get the rent history of your apartment from DHCR, to see what the rent should be.

consigliere

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments