TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

drug house next door!!! help!!!

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

drug house next door!!! help!!!

Postby nyc » Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:06 am

posted July 18, 2002 02:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I found out that there is a drug house in the next building to me. Futhermore, they have a backyard connected to mine, and I have been brought to the attention that people hop the fence into my yard!!!! the management is trying to evict them right now and cops have busted the place a couple time already. My question, can I hold the management company liable for destruction to my apt? People have destroyed items in my private backyard, by hopping the fence. In addition, this is surely a safety issue. Please advice me on what I can do. Can I ask for a reduction in rent? Barbed wire? 24 hr. security guards anything?!!!! Help!!!

thanks
nyc

Re: drug house next door!!! help!!!

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:06 am

There's no satisfactory answer in this kind of situation. The LL next door is evicting them, so he is off the hook. Your LL is generally not to blame for vandalism by outsiders. Sometimes landlords get sued for broken exterior doors, and you may have a similar situation here. How much backyard security is an LL supposed to provide? I don't know.
I'd suggest writing him a certified letter ASAP pointing out the problem and requesting increased security. If there is no fence or security I imagine he might be obliged to put one in place. 24 hr. guard? Not a chance.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments