TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

big rent increase

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

big rent increase

Postby patree125 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:54 am

LL HAS AGREED TO GIVE ME A LEASE IN MY NAME, BECAUSE MY MOM PASSED AWAY AND I WAS LIVING WITH HER FOR OVER 3YRS. BUT I AM ALITTLE CONFUSED BECAUSE MY MOM WAS PAYING 577. AND NOW HE WANTS TO CHARGE ME 800. BUT HE DID SAY HE WAS GOING TO GIVE ME ALL NEW KITCHEN APPL. AND RE DO MY BATHROOM. BUT MY MOM'S LEASE EXPIRES IN NOV 2003
CAN HE INCREASE ME 223.00 PER MONTH
NEED SOME ADVISE BEFORE I SIGN A NEW LEASE.. THANKS
patree125

Re: big rent increase

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:42 am

If this is the first succession the LL is not entitled to any increases other than the amount set by the Rent Guidelines Board for a standard lease rernewal.

However, he can raise your rent for improvements such as new kitchen appliances, but only if you request them and agree to an increase.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Re: big rent increase

Postby patree125 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:59 am

thanks for advise, but i still don't understand if he can raise me 223.00 per month that is what is said my rent will be when i sign a new lease.
Can i also tell him i don't want any new appl.?
we did go to court and LL lawyers told judge that the LL will give me a new lease but never said anything about increasing me 223.00 i still can go back to court on March 7th. because LL hasn't given me a new lease yet, and hasn't said anything to me since our last conversation.
patree125

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments