TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

drug dealer in building

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

drug dealer in building

Postby patrice » Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:40 pm

first time here: not sure if this is right place to post: but i need help! there is a drug dealer in our building who is constantly letting junkies in and out...very unsafe...and last night he set fire to his apartment, luckily we called nyfd in time so no one was hurt but this guy is crazy. what if anything can i do about this? managing agent/building owner impossible to reach..no phone or address listing (rent is sent to PO box)
patrice

Re: drug dealer in building

Postby HAJ77 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:39 pm

What about the painfully obvious solution of calling the police?
HAJ77

Postby patrice » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:55 pm

thanks....police have been informed of the situation for a long time now. post office does not deliver certified mail to po boxes. dept of buildings only has listing for management co. as of 2 years ago, who claim to have no info re: current management co. super knows all of what's going on, says he can't do anything about it.
patrice

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:38 pm

This is a touchy situation for obvious reasons. My brother had an identical problem a year ago, and he worked with the local precinct in ousting the drug dealers. I strongly suggest that you work most closely along those lines. VISIT the precinct, talk to the community relations officer. But by all means see to it that that your confidentiality is protected.

As for this post office box stuff--that is a separate issue. The LL is required to post an address, not a mailbox number.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby patrice » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:16 pm

again thanks for the input. i have gone to the precinct, and was there again last night in fact. drugs are dealth inside this guy's apt, not in hallway or out on the street so it's going to be awfully difficult to catch him....he doesn't deal to the general public, everyone who comes here t buy from him knows him and as that makes them 'invited guests" they can't even be charged with trespassing.. and yeah, the landlord is supposed to do ALOT of things but he doesn't do them...and since there's no way to even find out who he is or how to reach him or managing agent, we're up against it here.
patrice

Postby MikeW » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:44 pm

If enough of the tenants in the building are pissed, organize a rent strike. That will bring the LL out of the woodwork.
MikeW

Postby patrice » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:16 pm

i know.....i wish we could do that! unfortunately alot of the people in the building are section 8 and worse, they don't really care that this man is a dealr, most of them get high themselves.
patrice

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments