TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rental information on Sublettor

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rental information on Sublettor

Postby loosid744 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:47 pm

I believe that my sublettor pays *a lot* less rent than she is telling me. Is there a legal way for me to find out how much she is paying? I would rather not go the the LL if possible.

thx.
loosid744

Re: Rental information on Sublettor

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:02 pm

This is a bit confusing since you already said in another message that the rent is $600

http://www.tenant.net/.WWW/ubbgraphics/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000469

Maybe it would be helpful if you explained what this figure is based on.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby mjr203 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:56 am

I think you mean that your PRIME TENANT pays less. You said you think $600 in the other thread. I thought you had already found out about this.

In any case --- get in touch with the DHCR and get a rent history mailed to you at the apartment. You can pick it up from them but I believe you need a lease? Go to their website for details. The rent history lists the LL's record of rent regulation registration for every year the apartment has been registered. It should give you an idea what the rent reg. PRIME TENANT who is subletting (overcharging?) to you is paying.

-POINTER (and let's stick to one thread)
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby loosid744 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:56 am

Yes, sorry.

I am subletting. She is the prime tennant. I believe she is paying 600. Can I request a rental history of the appt as a sublettor or do I have to be on the lease?
loosid744

Postby mjr203 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:38 am

Originally posted by loosid744:
Yes, sorry.

I am subletting. She is the prime tennant. I believe she is paying 600. Can I request a rental history of the appt as a sublettor or do I have to be on the lease?
Over the phone they should mail the history to you at the rent-registered address. You are living there so you'll receive it.

You might call and see if you can pick it up as the DHCR are notoriously incompetent. I tried to get it mailed 2x and never received though maybe my shady LL intercepted. I then went down and showed them ID and my lease. But perhaps they will accept a piece of mail & ID. Did you sign a sublease agreement with this prime tenant? That would probably do. The DHCR office for brooklyn is at 66 Hanson Place, but if you are in another borough they have their own offices.

Note: if you call them to request it my mail you can explain your situation and they can also look at the history on the phone (if they want to) and tell you that you might be overpaying but you will need the actually printout so get it anyway.

-POINTER

<small>[ April 22, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: pointerout ]</small>
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments