TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

3 Bedroom? mac occupancy

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

3 Bedroom? mac occupancy

Postby John Piper » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:15 pm

My brother, a friend of ours, and myself just moved into a huge apartment on the upper west side. The apartment itself is 61 ft long (don't know width off hand, will post it later). There are three bedrooms, a dining room, a full kitchen, and another room. The landlord made a stink about having three people on the lease (as we were getting the lease from a friend of ours and he wanted to jack the rent up as high as he could, so he wanted 'new' tenants, so he was trying to get rid of us. He had his office not take our phone calls and claimed to have 'lost' our credit applications.) But anyway, so only my brother and my friend's name are on the lease, yet I am living there with them.

As far as I can tell, under the current laws, this is perfectly legal. There is more than enough space, so we're not overcrowding, and I'm immediate family to one of the lease-holders.

Let me know what you guys think.
John Piper

Re: 3 Bedroom? mac occupancy

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:32 pm

Three people in three bedrooms? Good gawd, you could probably have a dozen people living there. I don't know the legal citation (I'm sure someone else will post it) but there are laws re the amount of space per person as well as the ability to bring in roommates. You're in the clear, easily.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments