TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Water leaks, LL won't take care...

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Water leaks, LL won't take care...

Postby tako » Sat May 18, 2002 5:45 pm

We live in a rent controled apartment in Brooklyn for a year and half. Water is leaking from the ceiling due to the radiator malfunction from the room directly above us. We reported the problem and complained to LL since last Novemeber. Last month they finally fast fixed the problem by patching and painting up the large hole caused by the leak, but did not deal with the origin of the problem. It still leaks when radiator is in function, and ceiling deteriorated once again. We've been reporting and complaining to LL, but he simply do not seem to care to repair.
What can we do to have it fixed, at their expenses, A.S.A.P. Any advises? Please...
tako

Re: Water leaks, LL won't take care...

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu May 23, 2002 9:56 am

File a complaint with the Buildings Dept., as it most definitely is a code violation.
If it causes damage he is not repairing, you can repair and deduct after first giving the LL written notice via certified mail.
There may be DHCR remedies too (ugh), plus rent-withholding stuff that you should only do after getting competent legal advise.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby chelsea » Thu May 23, 2002 12:55 pm

When I had a similar problem in my apartment, the Department of Buildings told me radiator leaks are a Housing Preservation and Development problem. I reported it to HPD, which basically did nothing and ending up withholding rent and taking the complaint to Housing Court as an HP action. The raditor problem was fixed after many years but another leak from the roof was never fixed.

Chelsea
chelsea

Postby tako » Fri May 24, 2002 10:47 am

Dear Phil & chelsea,
Thank you very much for your advice. I will try what you suggested.
Thank you again !!!
tako

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments