TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord inspection

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

landlord inspection

Postby willa » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:01 pm

I have to have my landlord come in to inspect my apt for peeling paint and window guards, as I recently adopted a child under the age of three. Can anyone give me advice as to how to behave/what to let him look at , what rights I have while he is inspecting? clearly, it is an adversarial relationship and he would like me out.
willa

Re: landlord inspection

Postby willa » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:31 pm

btw... he is planning to come in with the new building manager.. do I have to let them both in?
willa

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:45 am

Probably best to have a friend with you as a witness if you think there will be some problem lying ahead. I'm not clear why he needs to inspect, but he has a right to do it. This visit sounds fairly innocuous to me, unless there are issues you haven't mentioned. Yes, he can bring the building manager.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby joliett » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:07 pm

Just for everyone's information, ANY child in the building means window guards are required on ALL hallway windows.

And I agree with Phil,having a second person present in your apartment is VERY GOOD advise.

<small>[ June 08, 2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Joel Teicher, P.E. ]</small>
Joel Teicher, P.E.
www.TenantEngineer.com
joliett

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments