TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

MCI Improvements

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

MCI Improvements

Postby iprjp » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:09 pm

If there was no MCI filed for my rent-stabilized apartment for "improvements" my landlord stated he made 4 years ago (right before I moved in), is the rent increase based on the improvements still legal? Can he go back a file a retroactive MCI?

As well, if he did file, when can he start charging the higher rent, isn't it when DHCR approves the MCI increase? So if he files in September 1998, and DHCR approves in December 1998, he can't charge the higher rate until December 1998?
iprjp

Re: MCI Improvements

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:00 pm

When an LL rehabs an apartment while vacant, he can add a fraction of the cost (1/40?) to the rent. That does not require an MCI application.
Yes, he may well have inflated the cost of improvements. But it is much too late to contest that.

Originally posted by iprjp:
If there was no MCI filed for my rent-stabilized apartment for "improvements" my landlord stated he made 4 years ago (right before I moved in), is the rent increase based on the improvements still legal? Can he go back a file a retroactive MCI?

As well, if he did file, when can he start charging the higher rent, isn't it when DHCR approves the MCI increase? So if he files in September 1998, and DHCR approves in December 1998, he can't charge the higher rate until December 1998?
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby iprjp » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:37 pm

Why is it much too late to protest? I already filed a rent overcharge complaint with the DHCR and it was within the 4 year time limit.
iprjp

Postby Phil Cohen » Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:23 pm

Good--then it was within the legal time limit.
Wasn't stated in your post that you had filed.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments