TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

slumlord

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

slumlord

Postby Bey » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:31 pm

Hello all...I posted before and got really good advice so I am posting again. My slumlord says he wants us to move out because he is converting what is now a 6 apartment building into 3 apartments. He says we have to move by August because our apartment will either be used as storage/offices or as an apartment for his family. Our situation: we are rent controlled tenants living in the same apartment for over 30 years. My father is also a senior citizen.
Has anyone been in a similar situation? We've consulted a neighborhood tenant association that has started the proceedings to take him to court. They have been very helpful and supportive but basically say "just stay put". Can he evict us? The harrassment hasn't started, but we are sure it will. Any advice?
Bey

Re: slumlord

Postby Bey » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:07 am

Hola :) After much deliberation last night, my folks have decided to move. They are old and tired of the drama. We've got a lead on a small apt for $850. It's a shame though...how landlords can get away with intimidating the hell out of people. Some things are soooooo unfair. But thanks for all your help.
Bey

Postby joliett » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:08 am

Talk to an attorney FIRST before you move.

That apartment is like an investment, even if you don't own it.

Just contact any attorney that advertises on Tenant.net

They will advise you of your legal and monetary rights.

Do the right thing and protect your's and your parent's investment.

Quite literally, that apartment may be worth mucho macho.

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Joel Teicher, P.E. ]</small>
Joel Teicher, P.E.
www.TenantEngineer.com
joliett

Postby Bey » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:08 am

I know it's worth a ridiculous amount of money because of where we are (greenpoint, which has been dubbed the new Soho). I'm taking your advice. I called a lawyer on the site. I don't have much money, but they usually don't charge for consults. I took a shot and left a message. Things can't get any worse than they are now. Thanks....and I will keep you posted. Perhaps this will help others posting on the boards.
Bey

Postby mbrenner » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:44 am

Speak to a lawyer (good idea). My own experience has been that many of them DO CHARGE for an initial consult -- but maybe not as much as their usual hourly rate -- but it will probably be worth the charge. Perhaps (if you really intend to move) you can get a reasonable "buy-out" from your landlord (a payment to encourage you to move).
mbrenner

Postby TenantNet » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:39 pm

Personal use evictions are the new horror. Although they've been around for some time, they are being used more and more. But if the building is a corporate entity, they can'd do it. There are also (I think) additional protections for senior citizens - but I haven't looked at them for a while. Look at the DHCR stuff on tenant.net or maybe someone will post it. Even without protections, you can always buy time. We don't encourage buyouts as it often means the units go off the rent reg rolls and are not available for other tenants, but that is an option. But any buyout should be worthwhile, not just enough to cover moving costs. There used to be rules of thumb (I forget those right now) how to calculate reasonable buyouts - having to do with the amount of rent. But one poster is correct - it's your hoime, your neighborhood and the investment in both cannot be discounted. As for attorneys, most will charge for a consultation and often at rates less than their hourly rate. We don't ask them that when they advertise and they will tell you any fee prior to the consultation -- the purpose of which is to get an accurate assessment of your legal rights and options. Many of the attorneys on our site are well-known tenant attorneys. Some we know personally. Some we've used. But we can't vouch for any particular attorney over another and no attorney can guarantee a win. But it would be advisable to get good advice - either from a tenant attorney (not one who just puts up a shingle, but one who knows L&T and practises it every day) or a neighborhood tenant counseling service.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Lilly » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:35 pm

If you don't do something irrational, like move out right away or sign anything, you might be paid tens of thousands of dollars on a buyout from your slumlord er landlord. Here is the link to HPD-put in your building address and then look to see who owns it. If you see a name next to Corporation, then your LL doesn't own the building personally and therefore cannot reclaim your apartment or any apartment for personal use.

http://167.153.4.71/hpdonline/provide_address.aspx
Lilly

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments