TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent Increase Allowed?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent Increase Allowed?

Postby lawyerliz » Mon May 20, 2002 5:58 pm

My rent has been increased twice recently. The first
increase was before my lease term expired - an increase of 15% - the explanation by the landlord was that the building added more hours for the part time doorman and some other maintenance charges. Then another 10% when I renewed my lease.

I recently saw the building's detailed co-op perspectus bc I was having a friend buy a unit in the building - I saw that my unit is rent stabilized. If this is the case, was my landlord allowed to increase rent mid-term or even by more than 6% for the latest term?
lawyerliz

Re: Rent Increase Allowed?

Postby Phil Cohen » Mon May 20, 2002 6:37 pm

Congratulations--you may have hit the jackpot. If the landlord made believe your apartment was not rent stabilized, and it was, he can be hit with treble damages. Call the DHCR and get a rent history pronto.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby MikeW » Tue May 21, 2002 11:30 am

It might not be quite so easy. The prospectus was written when the building was converted. It doesn't sound like the original poster was a pre-conversion tenant. If the apartment turned over since the conversion became effective, it is no longer regulated.

However, I agree that he should look into the history of the apartment.
MikeW

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue May 21, 2002 11:58 am

Good point. Also I didn't notice something rather glaring in the original post--that rent increase in the middle of a lease. Unless the lease allows that, it is verboten--whether or not it is rent stabilized.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby Lmarsh » Wed May 22, 2002 2:20 pm

I have a rent stabilized apt., was burgled and am now asking my landlords to install fire security gates. They have said they will do it, but are not required to, so won't pay for them (though they should). Instead of asking me to pay upfront, they've said they'll take the cost, divide it by 40 and add number to my rent. Is it legal to raise my rent when I have another 12 months left on my lease?
Lmarsh

Postby consigliere » Wed May 22, 2002 3:12 pm

You should have started a separate thread for your question.

If you consent, the landlord can raise your monthly rent by 1/40 of the costs of improvements made in your apartment, during the term of your lease. This becomes a permanent rent increase, and, like the rest of your rent, is subject to future Rent Guidelines Board increases.

Lmarsh asked:

I have a rent stabilized apt., was burgled and am now asking my landlords to install fire security gates. They have said they will do it, but are not required to, so won't pay for them (though they should). Instead of asking me to pay upfront, they've said they'll take the cost, divide it by 40 and add number to my rent. Is it legal to raise my rent when I have another 12 months left on my lease?

consigliere

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments