TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

where do i get inexpensive legal help

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

where do i get inexpensive legal help

Postby Carey » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:58 pm

So i went to court on fri thinking i was going to trial, i was not. I had a really frustrating day. first iwent to the non-pay to tell them i was in hp court. then i got conflicting advice from the hpd legal assistents. The biggest problem was my availablity, i have anew job and cann't take off anymore-- i am afraid to tell my boss i have to go back now becuase i might get fired. (i spent alot of time argueing about when repairs can be done)i was trying to show the legal aids my pics of the apt and a tenent activist pulled me aside and said they were giving me bad advice and i should go through the non-payment first. to make a long story short- i was sent back and forth and landed up argueing with my LL's smooth talking lawyer. i have to go back to try booth cases now on the 28th of april. i really want to have legal representation. I don't think i can afford it. my yrly at my new job is too high to get legal aid but i didn't make nearly that much this past yr. i was unemployed for a couple of weeks too. the other thing is i don't intend to stay at this job becuase i want to go back to school. help!
Carey

Re: where do i get inexpensive legal help

Postby Carey » Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:48 pm

?????still need a lawyer? :confused:
Carey

Postby Phil Cohen » Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:09 pm

There is no such thing as "inexpensive" legal help. If you go to a lawyer who is "inexpensive," he could cost you money in the long run by having to research stuff an experienced lawyer l/t would know off the top of his head. Or the "inexpensive" lawyer could screw up the case for you.
You should invest in a good L/T lawyer. But if you really truly haven't got the money, contact the Association of the Bar. They used to have volunteers once a week, representing various specialties. Maybe you can get, at the very least, some pro bono help.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby Carey » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:58 pm

i am still looking for legal help.my court case is on april 28th. i really can't afford alot so i need to get pro-bono help. i just did my taxes and made only like 11,000 something last yr. some people in my building have gotten large settlements -- like $20,000, and 42,000-- i don't want this much but i want to be treated fairly-- i felt so overwelmed in court-i really felt like my LL's lawyer was trying to railroad me into a bad desicion. the building is in disrepair- it is dirty and poorly lit. the front door lock is broken. my sink is clogged. i have a hole in my bathroom ceiling(where the pipe is) dirt and plaster fall from here. i have 3 leaks that occasionally leak from my private hall. the whole apt is sinking- at a 45% angle - all the toe molding needs to be replaced. the walls all have pretty bad cracks -- these keep getting worse. during the coldest months of winter my heat was almost always to low -- unfortunetly the hpd inspectors never showed up for a night inspection -- so i was ralely home. the worst part is the garbage that is placed in front of my apts window. it is often nasty- and piled against my window. these are just a few of the repairs needing to be done- please help me find legal representation. :(
Carey

Postby Carey » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:41 pm

i am still looking for legal help.my court case is on april 28th. i really can't afford alot so i need to get pro-bono help. i just did my taxes and made only like 11,000 something last yr. some people in my building have gotten large settlements -- like $20,000, and 42,000-- i don't want this much but i want to be treated fairly-- i felt so overwelmed in court-i really felt like my LL's lawyer was trying to railroad me into a bad desicion. the building is in disrepair- it is dirty and poorly lit. the front door lock is broken. my sink is clogged. i have a hole in my bathroom ceiling(where the pipe is) dirt and plaster fall from here. i have 3 leaks that occasionally leak from my private hall. the whole apt is sinking- at a 45% angle - all the toe molding needs to be replaced. the walls all have pretty bad cracks -- these keep getting worse. during the coldest months of winter my heat was almost always to low -- unfortunetly the hpd inspectors never showed up for a night inspection -- so i was ralely home. the worst part is the garbage that is placed in front of my apts window. it is often nasty- and piled against my window. these are just a few of the repairs needing to be done- please help me find legal representation. :(
Carey

Postby Bey » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:10 am

Someone directed me to contact an attorney who advertises on the site. Make a phone call and see what happens.
Bey

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments