TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Help in sublease security deposit, much appreciated!

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Help in sublease security deposit, much appreciated!

Postby funkynico » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 am

Hello everyone. I have a question about not fulfilling sublease and the deduction of security deposit. I was going to sublet an apartment for two weeks and the rent is 500 with a security deposit of 300. I paid in full in advance and then I went abroad traveling. However while I was abroad, I got something urgent to deal with and cannot get back to the states in time. I give the person who was subletting the apartment a notice one week in advance as I wish him to find some to fill the spot. And I told him if he cannot find anyone eventually he can take some of the security deposit to bear his loss. However later, he notified me that he is going to take 400( all security deposit and 100 rent). I do feel sorry about not able to fulfilling the sublease. But considering that there is no written formal sublease between us and I didn't know his terms about the security deposit, I feel charging me 400 is unfair to me. I won't be living in that apartment for a single day because I'm abroad and cannot get back in time. Is there any legal document I can refer to? Thank you heaps for helping!

Best,

Nicole
funkynico

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments