TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent Stabilized apartment - renovations question

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent Stabilized apartment - renovations question

Postby Nudetypist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi all!

My father lives in a rent stabilized apartment that's pretty rundown. Landlord hasn't done anything for the apartment in years. My main concern is the condition of the shower in the apartment. It's the old tenement building where the shower is in the kitchen and the toilet is a separate area. The shower is basically a box with a hose in it. I'm willing to upgrade the shower myself and install a new one, but my landlord wouldn't allow it. They are trying to keep this apartment as beat up as possible so my dad will consider moving, so they can have the apartment back. Landlord's been pressuring all the older residents for years.

Do I have any recourse to get this shower upgraded? Like I said, I'm willing to upgrade myself but just need their permission. Since the walls of the shower is just cheap plastic, what if it starts to tear? Are they responsible to repair that since a shower is a necessity?

I hate the landlord so I also want advice to stick it to them. I'm willing to call 311 on any violations I notice just to make their lives miserable. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Nudetypist

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments