TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sudden Increase in Rent

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Sudden Increase in Rent

Postby AnonymousLadyK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

For the past three years, my husband, our disabled son, and I have been living in a run-down, 350 sq.ft studio with an eat-in kitchen. My husband has been appointed as a super of the building and have contributed significantly to improvement of the conditions of the building. Some violations still exist. A few months ago, we signed a month-to-month lease with our landlord stating this year's rent and the next year's rent with a $50 increase. We received a letter, stating that, due to increase in the costs of running the building, they need to raise additional $200 dollars in rent from November - accept or leave. What are our rights and what are the recommended actions?
AnonymousLadyK

Postby TenantNet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Part of this makes no sense. You said you signed a "month-to-month lease," which is sort of a nonsequitur. And it even makes less sense when you say it specified the rent for this year and next year.

If it's month-to-month, you can't have a lease for a year or multi-year.

What is the nature of the tenancy and what does the lease say?

Is the compensation for superintendent duties specified in the lease or employment agreement? If some of the rent is forgiven in lieu of the work done, then that should be provable. If, for example, he loses the job, that should not mean you lose the apartment. You need to show the right to the unit exists separate from the job.

Also, it behooves you to see if the unit (or any unit in the building) is rent stab, or should be rent stab.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments