TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Should I sign?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Should I sign?

Postby smw380 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:39 am

I've been M2M for about 6 years in my current apartment, where I've lived for 8 years. I think tat not having a lease was mostly laziness on the part of my LLs. I'm planning to move this fall, and was going to give them 2-3 months notice, but they must have gotten wind of it and suddenly presented me with a year long lease. I told them I was leaving and asked if we could continue month to month. They said they were concerned that between October and February they would have trouble renting the apartment. I doubt that's true - it's a 2 br in a highly desirable Brooklyn neighborhood. They agreed to a 7 month lease, taking us to the end of January. They said they were fine with me breaking it as long as they have another tenant ready to move in.

Is there any downside for me in signing this? If I need to move before January (likely but not definite) I'm sure we can find someone willing to move in. I also figure I could just break the lease and let them deal with it - If they were too lazy to give me a lease for 6 years they're probably too lazy to take me to housing court.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts about this. Thanks.
smw380

Re: Should I sign?

Postby TenantNet » Sat May 23, 2015 7:55 am

In NYC tenants are not required to give LL's notice of leaving. See the M2M topics in the Forum Reference Section. But that's moot as you've already told them.

Of course, if priced fairly and if in reasonably good shape, they will have no problem renting the place.

With a 7 mo lease, you would be responsible for the rent for the entire lease. It should not be your responsibility to find another tenant to take over. What happens if you do, but the LL says the new tenant is not acceptable?

If they're OK with a 4 month term, then that is what they should offer to you.

In smaller towns, they might not bother taking you to court, but in NYC many LLs are litigious. Of course you would likely lose your deposit.

I would press for continued M2M or a lease that you can accept.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby smw380 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:03 am

They won't give me a shorter term lease, that was clear. They're convinced it will be difficult to rent over the fall/winter. I don't have a problem helping them find someone - people are always looking around here. Obviously they'd need to vet people but I can help them find some potential tenants to look at.

I could just not sign, right? They could try to evict me, but by the time that really got rolling I'll probably be gone. I'd lost my security, but I can live with that.
smw380

Postby TenantNet » Sat May 23, 2015 8:15 am

While M2M tenants in NYC do not need to give notice, LL's do need to give 30 days notice. After that, they can commence a holdover proceeding in Housing Court. That could take a few months depending on many factors, but it would also expose you to the tenant blacklist. What is important is that you knkow and understand potential downsides for eich choice.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments